In this article, we'll set out the end-to-end steps to build your learning content and share it with your people.
Lessons are the actual learning, and Courses are just a wrapper - a way to bring together Lessons and share with your people. So the first step is to create the Lessons you need. In Learn, the following Learning types are available:
- Instructor-led Lessons for in-person or online training
- URL Lessons (to signpost content anywhere online, e.g. YouTube, your intranet)
- Import and share SCORM, PDF, XLS, PDF, Doc files
- Video Lessons for MP4 and MOV file types
- Document upload Lessons (for learners to provide evidence of learning completed externally)
- Competency Checks, through which learners can demonstrate proficiency
Steps to build learning
- Create the Lesson(s) you need (see above)
- Create a Course
- Assign the Lesson(s) to the Course
- Set Lesson pre-requisites if required (to force the order that Lessons must be completed)
- Add Elective Lessons if required (to offer learners a choice of Lessons to complete the Course)
- Add an evaluation for the Course, Lesson, or Event
- Set a deadline for the Course if required
Steps to share learning
So your Course is ready, now it's time to share the learning with your people, as either mandatory or optional learning. Groups and Catalogues may already exist in your Learn, so check before creating something new. For the below steps, we'll assume that everything needs to be created from scratch:
To assign as mandatory learning:
To assign as optional learning:
- Create a Catalogue
- Assign the Course to the Catalogue
- Create a Group
- Add a User(s) to the Group
- Assign the Catalogue to the Group
Have you checked which emails and notifications are switched on? Take a look at the email and notification section of the Knowledgebase for more detail.
Download the Course builder flow chart
If you're new to building Courses in Learn, take a look at the 'Course builder flow chart' in The Academy. This one-page job aid will guide you through all the essential steps to build and share Courses, including the easy-to-forget step of assignments.
Get deeper learning in The Academy
View ‘Share optional learning with your people’ and 'Share mandatory learning with your people' for the bigger picture of learning assignment including troubleshooting, best practice, and tips from the Kallidus team.
If you're just setting up your Learn view ‘Big picture - build and curate learning’ to see more about Lesson types, and how to organise content in your Learn LMS - including an explanation of the differences between Courses, Catalogues and categories.
The Academy is your forever free learning hub for Kallidus products including live events, eLearning videos, and more. If you're new to The Academy or know someone who is missing out on free learning, contact your Customer Experience Manager or the Support Team to sign up today!