In this article, we'll show how to create a Course so that you can share learning with your people. Lessons are the actual learning, and Courses are just a wrapper - a way to bring together Lessons and share them with your people.
- Courses contain one or more Lessons
- A course can contain any number of lessons, of any type.
- If no Lessons are assigned to a Course, it will not be visible to any Users
When your Course is created your likely next step is to assign Lessons to The Course.
Watch the video below to see how:
Steps to create a Course
- Browse to the 'Course' area of Learn admin:
- Select 'New' to create a new Course. Add a unique code for the Course. The code is not visible to learners but will be used to identify the Course for administrators. Remember to apply the coding convention your organisation has defined.
- Add a Title for the Course. Keep the title short and concise - consider how the title will appear to the User and in reports.
- Select 'Image' to add a Course card. This is the image that will be seen by learners when viewing the Course
- Add a description for the Course. Consider how Course and Lesson descriptions appear to learners. View the '3 tips for Course and Lesson descriptions' article for more detail.
- Select ‘Category’ and choose a Category for the Course. Categories are filters which Users and Administrators can apply to narrow the search criteria when searching for Courses of interest
Additional settings for Courses
The previous steps include all the mandatory fields required to create a Course. The below table describes the optional settings.
The specified User will be a point of contact for the Course. Tutors are often a subset of global administrators, who manage all events and lessons relating to a specific Course(s) only.
|Specify if a User requires authorisation to enroll on the course or if the training is free to access.
|This can be useful for reporting on the cost of Courses, for example, training cost per head
|Once this limit is reached users cannot self-enroll, however, Administrators can overbook courses.
|Course is enabled
|Deselect to disable this Course if no longer required. This is a useful housekeeping exercise to remove Courses from the Administrators’ view.
Get deeper learning in The Academy
View ‘Share optional learning with your people’ and 'Share mandatory learning with your people' for the bigger picture of learning assignment including troubleshooting, best practice, and tips from the Kallidus team.
If you're just setting up your Learn view ‘Big picture - build and curate learning’ to see more about Lesson types, and how to organise content in your Learn LMS - including an explanation of the differences between Courses, Catalogues and categories.
The Academy is your forever free learning hub for Kallidus products including live events, eLearning videos, and more. If you're new to The Academy or know someone who is missing out on free learning, contact your Customer Experience Manager or the Support Team to sign up today!