In this article, we'll explain how to automatically add and remove Users from Groups, based on the information you know about them. A Learn LMS administrator can manually add users to Groups with just a few clicks, but when you're working at scale it's way more efficient to automate the process.
When a learner is added to a Group, they will be assigned all the mandatory and optional learning linked to that Group. And when a learner is removed from a Group, they will be unassigned any mandatory and optional learning linked to that Group.
- Rules are applied overnight to all groups in Learn
- Rules can be associated with any Group (except the ‘All users’ group)
- Rules can comprise one or more conditions (‘And’ and ‘Or’ conditions)
- All conditions in a rule must be met for a user to be added to the group
- Rules can be dependent on a score for a Lesson
Watch the video and follow the steps below:
Steps to create a Group rule
- Browse to the 'Group' area of Learn admin:
- Select the Group to which you would like to add the rule
- Select 'Rule' from The Group administration menu. Any existing rules will be listed
- Select ‘New’ to add a new rule:
- Enter a unique code and a Title for the rule
- Select the checkbox ‘Rule is enabled’, if the rule is to be active immediately
- Select the checkbox ‘Remove all members….’ to remove from the Group, any Users that no longer match the rules for membership of the Group:
- Construct a rule using the fields available in the ‘Data field’, ‘Operator’, and ‘Value’ menus. Options available in the ‘Operator’ and ‘Value’ menu will vary depending on the data field selected. Note that the rule will already contain a definition (User Availability matches true). This rule specifies that the rule will apply to enabled Users only. If not required, this rule can be deleted
- Select 'Add' to create the condition:
- Repeat the process for any further conditions within the rule. As more conditions are added, a User must meet ALL the conditions in order that they are added to the Group
- Select ‘Submit’ to save all changes to the rule. Note: the condition is saved only when ‘Submit’ is clicked. This step can be easily missed so take care to ensure this step is followed:
A new rule with two conditions is now created. Users will be added to the Group if they are enabled, AND if they are identified as being a Fire Warden.
Steps to test the new rule
Select Rules from the administration menu, then select 'Test'. The ‘Test rules’ button on the Group Rules list page confirms how many members will be added to the group when the rule is processed. If this is not the expected number of people, the rule can be corrected before the rule is processed by the overnight batch processor (UK time).
This is an important step, as it ensures the new rule is functioning as required:
Note: This does not calculate a new member total for the Group. To see the effect of a single rule, disable any other rules in the group before selecting 'Test rules'.
Get deeper learning in The Academy
A Learn LMS administrator can manually add users to Groups with just a few clicks, but when you're working at scale it's way more efficient to automate the process, and your data is key to that. View 'Automate learning assignment' for more detail.
View the 'Create a learning pathway' Course to see how your site set-up and Group rules can be used to deliver a tailored and focused learning experience for your people.