In this article, we'll explain how to manually create a new Group.
If you have an automated People-data feed from your HR data source you might not do this too often, as the feed can take care of most Groups you'll need - including Primary groups for your manager hierarchy.
However, there will be times when the People-data feed doesn't contain the detail you need, for example for Fire wardens, First aiders, Buddies, and champions. Or perhaps the Users to be added to the Group don't exist in your HR data source at all - for example, for contractors and temporary workers.
Where that's the case, follow the steps below.
Steps to create a Group
- Browse to the Group area of Learn admin:
- Select 'New'
- Add a unique Code and Title for the Group. This is not visible to learners but is used by administrators to identify the Group and for reporting. In both cases, remember to apply the naming convention your organisation has defined
- Add a description. This is optional, but it's a good way to make notes about the Group for future reference. For example, who created it? when? and why was it created? The description is visible to administrators only
- Select a Category (if applicable). If the Group is going to be populated with Users who are not in your People-data feed, select the 'Manually maintained' category
- Select 'Submit' to save the Group
Get deeper learning in The Academy
A Learn LMS administrator can manually add users to Groups with just a few clicks, but when you're working at scale it's way more efficient to automate the process, and your data is key to that. View 'Automate learning assignment' for more detail.
View the 'Create a learning pathway' Course to see how your site set-up and Group rules can be used to deliver a tailored and focused learning experience for your people.