In this article, we'll show how to import external content - SCORM eLearning PDF, XLS, Word and PPT files - into Learn LMS, so you can share it with your people. MP4 and MOV files can also be imported. Note that if you have Kallidus Off-the-shelf content, we'll add that for you.
When importing content, you have the option to create a new Course and Lesson or just to create a Lesson. If both Course and Lesson are chosen to be created through the import actions, the content selected for import becomes the Lesson, while the Course is a description of the content.
Where just the Lesson is imported, this can be linked to Courses later as required. This can be helpful for improving administrative efficiency, especially if you plan to use the Lesson elsewhere and don't need to create a unique Course for it.
Watch this video or follow the steps:
Steps to import SCORM and other files into Learn
- Navigate to ‘Administration Home’ and select ‘Course’ to view the Course list:
- Select ‘Import’. The Course import Wizard opens
- Select ‘Choose file’ and browse your computer to find file to import
- Select ‘Start Upload to proceed to the next stage of the Wizard
- Uncheck the tickbox 'Create new course' where only the Lesson is to be created. If this option is unselected, the options on the screen are reduced to only those required to set a Lesson. Leave this checked if both Course and Lesson are required from the import action. :
- Next, populate the properties for the new Course and Lesson. Course Code and Title, and Lesson code and Title will be prepopulated, but can be changed to align with your standard coding convention. Remaining fields to populate are: Course Category, Course card image, and Lesson duration:
- Select 'Start Course creation'. Once the content has been imported, the title of the new Course will be displayed. Select the Title to view the Course and edit it's properties, or select ‘Upload new content’ to import another file:
About the Course wizard
There is one Course Import Wizard in every Learn site. If more than one administrator is uploading content then the wizard will queue the imports, and upload them in sequence. A notification of ‘In Progress’ will appear for an imported Course or Lesson:
Remember – the Course created automatically by the Wizard can be deleted if not needed (this applies ONLY to Courses created after September 2018).
Files over 400mb cannot be processed with the upload wizard, if you have a file over this size then get in touch with the support team for further assistance.
Replace and update content
Content can change over time, and when that's the case you'll probably need to update the version in Learn LMS. Before you replace content files, take a look at What to do when eLearning content gets updated for recommended steps.
Get deeper learning in The Academy
To get the full picture of content import, including suggestions for good practice and tips from the Kallidus team, take a look at the 'How to import SCORM and other content to Learn LMS'.
The Academy is your forever free learning hub for Kallidus products including live events, eLearning videos, and more. If you're new to The Academy or know someone who is missing out on free learning, contact your Customer Experience Manager or the Support Team to sign up today!