Sapling’s Xero integration allows the provisioning and continuous sync of employee data between Sapling and Xero.
Sapling is currently integrated with the Australian payroll version on Xero. There are two other payroll versions of Xero (United Kingdom and New Zealand) that are not currently supported.
With the Xero integration, Sapling will:
- Create Users: When a user completes their Sapling profile (completes Preboarding), they will automatically be created in Xero.
- Update User Attributes: When a user attribute is changed in Sapling and the user is mapped (a new hire or an existing team member), the corresponding user profile in Xero will automatically be updated.
**Note: The changes are synced to Xero immediately.
- Deactivate Users: When a user is offboarded in Sapling, the corresponding user in Xero will automatically be terminated.
This article covers the following topics:
- How it Works
- Setting up the Integration Step by Step
- Overview of Xero
- Integration Fields
- Key Factors to be aware of
- 💡 Looking to do more?
How it Works
Setting up the Integration Step by Step
Step #1. Enable the Xero Integration in Sapling
- Navigate to the Integrations → Payroll Integrations → Xero AU
- Click the Yes Continue button (Before continuing, please double-check that you have employee groups setup in your company's Xero account.)
Step #2. Allow Sapling to access Xero
- You will be redirected to Xero → Login to Xero
- Complete logging in with the authenticator app
- You will see a popup box → Grant Access
Step #3. Confirm the Integrations Settings
- Review the integration categories and make your selection
- Save changes and that’s it!
Overview of Xero
Xero is world-leading online accounting software built for small businesses.
- Get a real-time view of your cash flow. Log in anytime, anywhere on your Mac, PC, tablet of phone to get a real-time view of your cash flow. It’s small business accounting software that’s simple, smart, and occasionally magical.
- Run your business on the go. Use our mobile app to reconcile, send invoices, or create expense claims - from anywhere.
- Get paid faster with online invoicing. Send online invoices to your customers - and get updated when they’re opened.
- Reconcile in seconds. Xero imports and categorizes your latest bank transactions. Just click ok to reconcile.
Find out more or try Xero Accounting Software for free.
Sapling is continually expanding the number of fields that sync between Sapling and Xero.
- Here is a full list of the Sapling and Xero Integration Fields.
In order to provision the new record in Xero, the following information is required in Sapling:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Home address
- Start Date
- Date of Birth
- Company Email
- Personal Email
- Ordinary Hours
**Hours per week (It can be either 37.5 or 38 depending on how the organization setup is)**
If the company email is not present, Sapling will use the personal email for both.
Key Factors to be aware of
In order to enable the integration, the following information is set up requirements:
- Organization ID
- Payroll Calendar
- Employee Group
- Pay Template
Field Names in Sapling & Xero
- For the Fields to sync correctly, the field options naming conventions must match between Sapling and Xero.
Time Off Management
If you're using Sapling's Time Off module, we can push approved leave into Xero from Sapling to help keep your payroll up to date.
This feature is auto-enabled when you turn on the Xero integration itself. We'll create links between your Sapling and Xero policies for sharing approved time-off requests.
- If you have time off policies already built-in Sapling, we'll create those same policies in Xero once the integration is enabled.
- As you create new policies in Sapling, we'll automatically create each new policy in Xero using the name from Sapling.
As you create your Sapling Time Off policies, you'll want to review two additional fields available when the Xero integration is enabled:
- Is this a paid leave? (On the Basic Policy Information step, make sure the Is this a paid leave? the field is set to yes or no, per your policy).
- Display balances on payslips? (On the Time Off Balances step, make sure the Display balances on payslips? the field is set to yes or no, per your policy).
As time off requests are approved, they'll be automatically synced to Xero, ready for your next pay run. Please be aware that we only sync in one direction, from Sapling to Xero, and not from Xero to Sapling.