The Kallidus Sapling platform helps HR and People Operations teams automate and streamline administrative tasks so they can focus on employee experience, retention, and creating an amazing culture for the most successful teams.
Our ServiceNow integration allows tasks to be sent from Sapling to the Service Catalog Tasks in ServiceNow, with the task state, short description, and description then kept in sync between the two systems.
This KB article covers the following topics:
- How It Works
- Setting up the Integration
- Data Flow Overview
- Key Factors to be aware of
- 💡 Looking to do more?
How It Works
Once you have the ServiceNow integration enabled, Admin and Super Admin users can confirm which Tasks should be sent to become ServiceNow tasks.
This is done on the Workflows tab in Sapling. When creating a new task (or modifying an existing task) - change the "Assigned" to ServiceNow. Once assigned to ServiceNow, you will see the ServiceNow icon as the task owner of the task. This means that when we assign the task, it will be sent to ServiceNow. Tasks can be assigned in the onboarding or offboarding flows, or on the Tasks Page.
Setting up the Integration
Step #1: Enable the ServiceNow Integration in Sapling
- Navigate to the Integrations → Productivity → ServiceNow
- Enable the ServiceNow Integration
- Enter your ServiceNow domain and administrator credentials
- Please note: the integration can only connect to production instances of ServiceNow - developer instances of ServiceNow are not supported at this time.
- Configure your Location, Department, and Employment Status filters
- Click "Next" and "Activate" to finish the integration
Step #2: Confirm the Integration settings
- Apply any Group Filters if necessary (Group Filters help you enable this integration for only certain groups of team members)
- Click Next to review your setup, then Activate
Data Flow Overview
Step #1: Configure your Sapling tasks to be assigned to ServiceNow
- Navigate to the Workflows
- When creating a new task (or modifying an existing task) - change the Assigned to ServiceNow
Step #2: Assign a task in Sapling
- Once assigned to ServiceNow, you will see the ServiceNow icon as the task owner of the task.
- Then that task will be sent to ServiceNow. Tasks can be assigned in the onboarding or offboarding flows, or on the Tasks Page.
Step #3: Action the Catalog Task in ServiceNow
- Navigate to the Catalog Task
- You should see the task coming over from Sapling by the short description
- When the task is completed in Sapling, then the task will be completed in ServiceNow and vice versa
The task sent to ServiceNow contains the following:
- Name of the Task with the New Hire Name appended to the Task
- Description of the Task
- Status of the Task
Key Factors to be aware of
Tasks can be updated in either system
- When a task is completed in ServiceNow, the corresponding task in Sapling will be updated after 1 hour. So if the task is completed in Servicenow at 3:00 pm, it will be marked as completed in Sapling at 4:00 pm.
- When a task is completed in Sapling, the corresponding task in ServiceNow will automatically be updated.
Tokens in Tasks
- If a token is not filled out when the task is assigned to ServiceNow, it will come over as a blank field.
- Updating the token in Sapling, will not update the field in ServiceNow.
- When a task is created in ServiceNow, it will use the ServiceNow default rules for assignment or be unassigned.
Ticket Deletion Management
If a task that is assigned to ServiceNow is deleted in Sapling, then the ServiceNow ticket will also be deleted in ServiceNow.
Filters in Sapling
Sapling supports filtering, and allows you to identify what team members' tasks you want to send to ServiceNow based on the following group filters:
- Employment Status