What is a Workspace?
Workspaces enable HR and non-HR teams (such as IT, Operations, or Finance) the ability to share Tasks between their team members.
Admin users can create Workspaces and invite multiple team members to that Workspace to share related tasks.
For example: if you create an IT Team Workspace and assign them a task - all IT team members will be notified, allowing them to easily allocate tasks to team members that have the bandwidth from there.
This article covers the following topics:
- How to create a Workspace?
- Managing Tasks within a Workspace
- Pro Tips 💡
How to create a Workspace?
Admins in Sapling can create Workspaces through the top navigation menu. To create a new Workspace, click on your name (top-right corner) > Switch To > Create New Workspace.
A workspace will need the following:
- Workspace Name
- Avatar- this will ensure that the workspace can be easily recognized across the platform.
- Workspace Email (optional) - this will be used for communications with that Workspace. (*note: task notifications will go to all users on the alias. It is best practice to include everyone on the alias in the Workspace. Without an associated email address, team members of the workspace with not receive notifications regarding any assigned tasks.)
- Team Members
Once a Workspace is created, the creator of that Workspace becomes the Admin of that Workspace, and can then invite other members.
Managing Tasks within a Workspace
Once a Workspace is created, you can assign tasks to that Workspace as a whole (as opposed to assigning tasks to an individual).
To add a task to a Workspace, navigate from Administration Tools > Workflows. Add a task to your desired Workflow (i.e. New Hire Onboarding), and select "Workspace" from the "Who should this task be assigned to?" section.
Tasks assigned to a Workspace can then be re-assigned to individual users to complete and will appear on that individual's tasks page. Once completed, the tasks are returned to the Workspace and are stored under completed tasks.
To reassign a task in a workspace to some other user, a user must have...
- Super Admin permissions in the Classic Sapling UI
- Super Admin OR Admin permissions in the new Sapling UI
Navigate from your account drop-down > Workspaces > Settings to adjust:
- The name of the Workspace
- The default timezone that Workspace is in
- If you'd like tasks assigned to that Workspace to notify either a) a Workspace email (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org) or a specific person on that team (i.e. the Marketing Manager)
Pro Tips 💡
- Team members can join multiple Workspaces, and they will not be able to see the Workspaces that they don’t belong to.
- When adding a new Workspace, you get to select an Avatar image that will be associated with it. This will help your Workspace to be easily recognizable across the platform.
- When creating a new Workspace, the Associated Email is for communications of new task assignments. If you have strict email security filters, please make sure to update the alias group email address settings to be able to "Receive emails from outside of your domain" in order to ensure these emails get delivered.
- Offboarded team members will remain active in an assigned Workspace until removed to ensure you can re-assign any outstanding tasks.