BambooHR is an HRIS software for small and medium-sized businesses.
The Sapling<>BambooHR integration has three parts:
- Sapling can sync data from BambooHR (for account set-up)
- Sapling can Create new employees in BambooHR
- Sapling can Push and Pull changes in employee fields in BambooHR
**Note: Bamboo can also create profiles in Sapling with the two-sync. However, employees can't be offboarded in BambooHR by offboarding them in Sapling.
This article covers the following topics:
- Workflow Overview
- New Hire Track
- Step #1 - A New Hire is invited to onboard by a Sapling Admin
- Step #2 - New Hire receives Onboarding Invitation
- Step #3 - New Hire completes Preboarding (employee record and paperwork)
- Step #4 - New Hire data and documents are sent to BambooHR
- Step #5 - On the First Day, access to BambooHR is granted
- Setting up the Integration
- Integration Fields
A candidate is hired in ATS
- New Hire Data is sent to Sapling and can be located under ‘Pending Hire’
- People Ops receive ‘Pending Hire’ notification in Sapling
New Hire Track
- A New Hire is invited to onboard by a Sapling Admin
- New Hire receives Onboarding Invitation
- New Hire completes Preboarding (employee record and paperwork)
- New Hire data and documents are sent to BambooHR
- People Ops receive ‘Preboarding complete’ email
- Employees receive notification of activities
- Employees complete Activities (Documents, Tasks, Outcomes)
- Stages tracked through the dashboard
- Invites to Sapling
- Activity Alerts
- Activity Reminders
- Manager Forms
New Hire Track
The following pages outline the key steps in the New Hire Track.
Step #1 - A New Hire is invited to onboard by a Sapling Admin
Sapling requires the collection of certain information to provision new accounts in BambooHR. On a new hire record, new employees will be required to complete their First Name, Last Name, and Personal Email.
Step #2 - New Hire receives Onboarding Invitation
Step #3 - New Hire completes Preboarding (employee record and paperwork)
Step #4 - New Hire data and documents are sent to BambooHR
**Note: The documents are sent to bamboo once they're completed regardless of whether the new hire has completed the preboarding or not. e.g: If any signatory document is signed completely or any document upload request is completed then those documents are sent to BambooHR immediately.
Step #5 - On the First Day, access to BambooHR is granted
An Administrative user in BambooHR updates the permission status of the new hire.
This generates an automated email generated by BambooHR to the new hires' company email. New Hires can then login and see their completed profile.
Setting up the Integration
To set up the BambooHR integration, log in to your BambooHR account as an Administrator.
- Click on your picture icon and select API Keys.
- Select Add a New Key, and an API Key will be generated.
- Copy the API Key
- Then in Sapling, log into Sapling and Go to Settings > Integrations
- Toggle the slider on for BambooHR
- Paste in the API Key you copied in BambooHR
- Enter your BambooHR subdomain (this will be the URL that is unique to your BambooHR site)
- Click "Save", this will close the setup window
- Click on the BambooHR logo to relaunch the setup window and click "Sync", this will bring overall standard integration employee information from Bamboo into Sapling
- Click "Save" once more
- From then, any employees onboarded in Sapling will be created in BambooHR
Sapling is continually expanding the number of fields that sync between BambooHR and Sapling. Here is a full list of the BambooHR to Sapling Integration fields.
Employee changes in BambooHR are pulled into Sapling each night at 12 am based on your time zone set in Admin>General. Any profile fields updated in Sapling will be sent immediately from Sapling to BambooHR.
1. If a new hire already has a profile in BambooHR, will the integration create a duplicate profile in BambooHR when the new hire completes Preboarding in Sapling?
No, the integration will not duplicate any existing profiles. When syncing new hires to BambooHR, Sapling will not create profiles for any new hires whose personal and/or company emails already exist in BambooHR. Instead, Sapling will sync their existing profiles from BambooHR via the daily sync and link it to their Sapling profiles based on their personal and company emails.
2. Admin Settings: Can recruiters have special permissions in Sapling to send the pre-boarding documents and not see confidential data?
Yes. Sapling recently released custom Admin roles which will give you the ability to create role-specific permissions. Our team could set up a Recruiter role that could send the pre-boarding documents and not see confidential data.
3. Is it possible to create custom fields that import into BambooHR from Sapling (if we first build out the field in BambooHR)? Also, is there a max number of custom fields allowed?
Yes. You can create custom fields in Sapling and Bamboo and sync the information between the two systems. Please note that there is an additional charge for custom work.
4. How do W4 and direct deposit information send to Bamboo, is it just the document?
These are typically captured as documents, then sent to BambooHR.
5. Does Sapling track exempt or non-exempt?
Yes. These fields can be set up by your Account Manager during implementation.
6. Does Sapling collect EEO data (race, gender, etc)?
Yes. These fields can be set up by your Account Manager during implementation and synced to BambooHR.