In this article we'll learn how to create a 'Competency Check.'
Competency Checks are important in Learn LMS to help learners demonstrate new knowledge or skills. They can form a vital part of learning and help to demonstrate whether a learner sufficiently understands a subject they have completed eLearning or attended an Instructor-led lesson about.
A Competency Check is like a test that shows if a learner can do a specific task the right way. Managers or Course Tutors do these checks. If a learner doesn't pass, they can learn more and try again.
Competency Checks give helpful feedback, show what we need to learn, and let managers help us get better at our jobs. We use them after training like forklift or first aid to make sure we're doing things right. There may be many other opportunities to use them in your organisation and for your business needs. They help promote continuous improvement and maintain high standards.
Once a Competency Check is created, it's like a Lesson and can be added to one or more Courses just like any other Lesson.
Watch the videos or follow the steps to see how a Competency Checks are set up and how they appear to learners and managers:
Steps to create a Competency Check
- Browse to ‘Competency Check’ area from admin home:
- Select ‘New’ to add a new check:
- Add to section 1 - What the learner sees
- Add a 'Title':
- Add a 'Description' - this should offer a clear explanation of the assessment's content as it will be visible to the learner
- Add 'Duration' - this is the estimated duration for the Competency Check and indicates how much time learners can expect to spend on the Check and the learning credits they will receive upon passing
- Add to section 2 - 'What the manager sees'
- Add 'Task to be observed':
- Add a detailed description of how the task should be performed by the learner. These instructions serve as a reference for managers when assessing learner competence, helping them determine if the learner has met the necessary standard and passed the Competency Check
- Add to section 3 - 'Other details'
- Include a unique code - each Competency Check must have one:
- Include a Category if required (optional). This helps organise Competency Checks, which proves especially helpful when dealing with a large number of them
- Set toggle switches to configure as required and to set either the Line Manager or the Course Tutor (or both) to complete the check
- Select 'Create' once all necessary fields are populated
Get deeper learning in The Academy
The Academy is your forever free learning hub for Kallidus products including live events, eLearning videos, and more. If you're new to The Academy or know someone who is missing out on free learning, contact your Customer Experience Manager or the Support Team to sign up today!