The Kallidus Sapling platform helps HR and People Operations teams automate and streamline administrative tasks so they can focus on employee experience, retention, and creating an amazing culture for the most successful teams.
Our integration for Slack (UK) integration offers three key benefits:
- View and complete Sapling tasks directly from Slack. Slack will notify users of tasks they have been assigned, as well as give them the ability to complete tasks straight from Slack.
- Push Sapling events and update notifications into a Slack channel. Get a running list of all Sapling updates for your HR team to see (including changes to employee data, activities, and updates to company settings).
- With a powerful integration to our Time Off module, use Sapling bot commands to save time and quickly find useful information. Managers are able to approve or deny time off, and see who is out of the office by typing quick commands. Employees can request Time Off or check their Time Off balance available directly from Slack.
This article covers the following topics:
- How to set up our integration for Slack
- What do employees see with our integration for Slack?
- Sapling Bot Commands for Managers and Employees
How to set up our integration for Slack (UK)
To enable the integration for Slack, you must have access to Integrations in Sapling (i.e. you must be an Admin or a Super Admin). You must also be an Admin in Slack.
1. Integrating Tasks and Time Off
Under Administration Tools, navigate to Integrations. Then, scroll down to find the Slack integration and click "Add to Slack".
When prompted, log into your Slack admin account and grant the necessary consent. Additionally, you'll need to specify a Slack channel where Sapling will post event notifications (eg. onboarding progress, user updates).
Once authorized, you'll receive a direct message in Slack from the Sapling Bot - this only goes to you and your company email in Sapling has to match your email in Slack for this to happen. It will ask which Slack channel we should use to notify your team of the Sapling integration and how they can enable it in their personal settings in Sapling.
Once you've specified a channel, your team will be notified of the Sapling integration. They can then click "Activate" on the notification to be taken to their personal settings in Sapling, where they can enable Slack notifications (instead of/in combination with email notifications).
2. Integrating Event Notifications
By default, when you enable the Slack integration you will automatically be subscribed to receive Sapling event notifications in the channel you specified during the authorization step.
If at any time you wish to disable Sapling event notifications, simply turn off the Slack integration slider - but do not click "Remove" as that will disable the integration entirely (including task and time off notifications).
If at any time you wish to change which channel Sapling posts event notifications to, you'll need to disable and re-enable the Slack integration. You can do so by disabling the Slack integration slider and clicking "Remove". Then, re-enable the Slack integration by following the steps outlined under the Integrating Tasks and Time Off section above.
What do employees see with our integration for Slack (UK)?
When they are assigned tasks to complete, Sapling will send these via the Sapling Bot directly to them. This will include who the task is for, the name, and the due date.
Note: Currently, we do not send Slack notifications for members of the workspace when tasks are assigned to the workspace.
Your team members can then complete Sapling tasks directly from the Sapling bot - and they will be marked as completed in Sapling.
Due date change
If the due date of one of the team member's Sapling tasks is changed, the Sapling Bot will instantly notify them of the update and provide a quick link to their Sapling account to take action.
Sapling Bot Commands for Managers and Employees
Employees and Managers can use the Sapling Bot to save time and quickly find useful information directly from Slack.
Here is a list of Sapling Bot commands (*note: all Time Off related Slack commands apply if you’re using Sapling’s Time Off module. To learn more about adding this module, contact your CSM or Support)
- /sapling team - Managers can view a full list of their direct reports, detailing their Time Off information with links to their each team member’s Sapling profile for faster access.
- /sapling out - Managers can specify a date range and get insight into which employees are out of office during that window of time.
- Approve or deny Time Off - Managers are able to approve or deny Time Off requests by accessing Sapling under Apps > Sapling directly in Slack. They will receive notifications when Time Off is requested by a member of their team. A summary of the request will appear showing the Name, Type of Time Off request, the date, length of request, comments, and an action button to Approve or Deny the request. Once approved or denied these changes will be reflected in both Slack and Sapling.
- /sapling request - Employees can submit a time off request by specifying the dates and time off policy their request is in relation to
- /sapling time - Employees can check their Time Off-balance. This will show a summary of their applicable Policies and Time Off balances. Any update or change in Sapling will be updated accordingly in Slack.