Sapling provides a number of document solutions including:
- E-Signed documents (single signature OR Co-signed)
- Document Uploads
- Document Packets
- Document Storage
Typically, these documents are assigned during Onboarding, Role Transitions, or Offboarding - but you can also assign documents at any point using our Bulk Request tool. You are able to assign and request files formatted as jpg, png, or pdf.
This article covers the following topics:
- Signatory Documents
- Upload Requests
- How to view Assigned Documents
- How to reassign the documents to the new manager
- Pro-tips 💡
Signatory documents are any type of documents that require a review and asignature(s) - for example: Team Handbooks, W-4s, I-9’s, etc. To create a new signatory document, go to Administration Tools > Documents > New document, select Signatory and chose who needs to sign document (available options are employee, manager and another team member), upload the form, and choose what pieces of the form require what action from the signee.
*Note: Document file size should not exceed 100MB.
Upload requests are tasks that get assigned to an employee with the intention to have them upload a specific document into Sapling (for ex: passport photos, copy of their driver’s license, etc).
Once you create the request, you can assign that request either a) during onboarding or b) directly from an employee’s profile.
*Note: Upload request file size should not exceed 20MB.
Document Packets are a way to combine documents into a collection that new hires can review/sign during any transition with Sapling. Typically, we see these being most helpful in combining necessary documents based on location or role type (for ex: “New Hire - UK Engineering Team Documents” vs. “New Hire - USA Engineering Team Documents”).
Note: Large packets with many documents may take some time to assign after onboarding is initiated.
To create a new packet, go to Administration Tools > Documents > Packets > New Packet, and specify the name, filters, what documents you’d like to include in that particular packet.
**Note: Combined document only combines the single signatory documents.
E.g: If a packet contains 3 single signatory documents (No Co-Signer), 2 manager type documents, and 2 any other co-signer type documents then when you assign it to employee X, the single signatory documents are combined into 1 document and others will remain as it is.
How to view Assigned Documents
You are able to view, edit or delete all assigned documents and packets by navigating to a team member’s profile and clicking on the “Documents” tab. From here, select the document you want to edit, delete it using the side menu or use the quick view panel to see all document details.
Once assigned, you can keep an eye on the document’s progress.
There are 4 key document status stages:
- Processing signature document: Sapling has received your signatory document request and is working behind the scenes to customize it to your exact needs
- Ready for Signature: Sapling has assigned the document to your team member and it’s ready to sign
- Ready for Co-signers: Your team member has signed the document, but the document co-signers have not
- Complete: The document has been signed by your team member and all co-signers (when applicable)
To view company-wide document statuses, head to the Documents Dashboard to review all assigned documents across your team.
While Sapling is able to assist in the set up of documents, for legal reasons - we are unable to provide any guarantees of accuracy and recommend all documents are checked prior to being assigned.
Due to geopolitical limitations, documents cannot be electronically signed through Sapling by team members physically located in the following regions (unless connected over a VPN routed through any other region):
- North Korea
- Crimea (Ukraine)
How to reassign the documents to the new manager
When the team member's manager field is updated with a new manager name, the existing pending documents are reassigned to the new manager automatically.
At this time, Sapling does not support signing orders. Documents are always sent to the team member first and the co-signer second.
- When an employee signs the document, an email notification is sent to the respective co-signer and a new notification is triggered for each document.
- All documents, when complete, will trigger a notification regardless of document process type (e.g. document from promotion tab).
Signatory documents only support a total of 2 signatures (i.e the employee and a co-signer). Currently, we cannot support 3+ signees for a given document.
- The content of the documents can be updated. However, the change will be applicable for new users only and it will not change the document for already assigned users. To update it for existing users, the documents need to be reassigned.
- Email reminders are sent to ALL assignees for outstanding documents daily (working days) at 8 am local time. The frequency of emails can be updated under settings if needed.
- Migrating Documents from another system with bulk upload is not supported.
- You can only have one trigger field per conditional logic rule, but you can have multiple selected fields. For example, you can’t create a rule that says if a signer checks a checkbox and clicks a radio button, display a dropdown field. But, you can create a rule that says if a signer checks a checkbox, display a radio button and a dropdown field.