Why should I upgrade my universe?
There is a new version of the LMS universe and Learn universe available to our Classic LMS and Learn customers. This new version has the following benefits:
- Reports will run faster since they will be using a faster 64-bit connection
- All future reporting enhancements will be made in the new LMS.unx and Learn.unx universes
- The legacy LMS universe will be retired in 2023
The old outgoing universe is called 'LMS'. This is being replaced by the new universe called 'LMS.unx'. Note that there is also a 'Learn.unx' universe which is used by the standard reports in Learn. This universe contains the same objects as those in 'LMS.unx' apart from those areas that have been removed from Learn such as domains, performance and objectives for example.
If you want to access the latest reporting objects and your existing reports are using the outgoing 'LMS' universe then you will need to upgrade your existing reports to use the new universe. Alternatively you can build your report again from one of the standard reports since all of the standard reports are using the new LMS.unx or Learn.unx universe.
You can check if your report is using the outgoing LMS universe by opening the report query and looking at the universe at the top left of the query panel. The old universe looks like this.
How do I upgrade my universe?
Here's how to update your existing reports to use the new universe.
- Open your report and click on 'Design' to go into design mode
- On the report toolbar select 'Data Access', 'Tools' and then 'Change Source'
- Select the first query that is listed in the drop-down. In my example below this query is called 'All Users' but it may be different for you depending on what standard report you used initially.
- Check the 'Apply changes to all queries sharing the same data source' at the bottom of the window and then 'Select a data source'
- Select the 'LMS.unx' universe which is the new version of the 'LMS' universe. Note that if you are a Learn customer that has converted from Classic LMS to Learn and your report is using the 'LMS' universe then you can select the 'Learn.unx' universe in this list. Click 'OK'.
- The 'Change Source Wizard' window will now show you the universe you have just selected. Click 'Next'.
- In the 'Strategy Selection' window change the selection so that the selected strategy order is 'Same name' only. Ensure that the other available strategies are not selected and are on the left hand side of the window as shown below. You can use the left and right arrows in the middle of the window to move strategies from right to left and vice versa. Click 'Next'.
- The change source wizard will now remap the existing objects in your report from the outgoing 'LMS' universe to the new 'LMS.unx' or Learn.unx universe. Have a look down the list of objects to make sure they have all been mapped across.
You may notice an exclamation mark against each green tick. This is expected since we have reorganised the objects into a new folder structure. If you hover over the green tick you will see this message for example. This message is OK.
If you are upgrading to the Learn.unx universe from the LMS universe then some of the objects may not be mapped. The message will say 'Remove Object'. This is because those objects do not exist in the Learn.unx universe. Some examples are 'User domain', 'Ethnic origin' and 'Disability'.
- Click 'Finish' and the report will now be changed to use the new universe. You can confirm this by looking at the universe name in the query panel that appears. It will now say 'LMS.unx' (or Learn.unx if you are a Learn customer and you changed to the new Learn universe.)
- Click 'Run Queries' at the top right of the query panel window to run the report. Verify that the report has run and check that it all looks OK.
If you have any problems upgrading your report to use the new LMS.unx or Learn.unx universes please raise a support ticket and a member of the team will help you out.