The Kallidus Sapling platform helps HR and People Operations teams automate and streamline administrative tasks so they can focus on employee experience, retention, and creating an amazing culture for the most successful teams.
Our integration for Slack integration offers three key benefits:
- View and complete Sapling tasks directly from Slack. Slack will notify users of tasks they have been assigned, as well as give them the ability to complete tasks straight from Slack.
- Push Sapling events and update notifications into a Slack channel. Get a running list of all Sapling updates for your HR team to see (including changes to employee data, activities, and updates to company settings).
- With a powerful integration to our Time Off module, use Sapling bot commands to save time and quickly find useful information. Managers are able to approve or deny time off, and see who is out of the office by typing quick commands. Employees can request Time Off or check their Time Off balance available directly from Slack.
This article covers the following topics:
- How to set up our integration for Slack
- What do employees see with our integration for Slack?
- Sapling Bot Commands for Managers and Employees
How to set up our integration for Slack
To enable the integration for Slack, you must have access to Integrations in Sapling (i.e. you must be an Admin or a Super Admin). You must also be an Admin in Slack.
1. Integrating tasks
Go to Home > Integrations > Slack.
Select the "Add to Slack" button on the right-hand side. From there, authorize your Slack account.
Once authorized, you will receive a message in Slack from the Sapling Bot (this goes to you only).
The Sapling Bot will ask what Slack channel we should notify your team about this integration now available in their Sapling settings. The notification is then posted in the selected channel to prompt your team to enable this feature.
2. Integrating event notifications
*Note: you will need to be a Slack Admin to perform this action.
Create a new channel in Slack (for ex: a #sapling_onboarding channel)
Then, from your Slack account, use the dropdown menu in the upper lefthand corner to select Apps & Integrations:
From the Apps and Integrations search bar, search 'Incoming' and select the incoming webhook (details found here).
Click Add Configuration and choose the channel you want to post events to (i.e. #sapling_onboarding)
Copy the unique webhook URL you receive from Slack.
Paste your unique webhook URL into Sapling (Home > Integrations > turn the Slack switch on > paste webhook). Specify the channel you'd like it to connect to (i.e. #sapling_onboarding).
What do employees see with our integration for Slack?
Your team members will be notified on Slack about the integration, and by clicking ‘Activate’ - they will be taken to their notification settings in Sapling to optionally receive notifications via Slack (instead of email, or both).
When they are assigned tasks to complete, Sapling will send these via the Sapling Bot directly to them. This will include who the task is for, the name, and the due date.
Note: Currently, we do not send Slack notifications for members of the workspace when tasks are assigned to the workspace.
Your team members can then complete Sapling tasks directly from the Sapling bot - and they will be marked as completed in Sapling.
Due date change
If the due date of one of the team member's Sapling tasks is changed, the Sapling Bot will instantly notify them of the update and provide a quick link to their Sapling account to take action.
Sapling Bot Commands for Managers and Employees
Employees and Managers can use the Sapling Bot to save time and quickly find useful information directly from Slack.
Here is a list of Sapling Bot commands (*note: all Time Off related Slack commands apply if you’re using Sapling’s Time Off module. To learn more about adding this module, contact your CSM or Support)
- /sapling team - Managers can view a full list of their direct reports, detailing their Time Off information with links to their each team member’s Sapling profile for faster access.
- /sapling out - Managers can specify a date range and get insight into which employees are out of office during that window of time.
- Approve or deny Time Off - Managers are able to approve or deny Time Off requests by accessing Sapling under Apps > Sapling directly in Slack. They will receive notifications when Time Off is requested by a member of their team. A summary of the request will appear showing the Name, Type of Time Off request, the date, length of request, comments, and an action button to Approve or Deny the request. Once approved or denied these changes will be reflected in both Slack and Sapling.
- /sapling request - Employees can submit a time off request by specifying the dates and time off policy their request is in relation to
- /sapling time - Employees can check their Time Off-balance. This will show a summary of their applicable Policies and Time Off balances. Any update or change in Sapling will be updated accordingly in Slack.