What is this about?
In Learn, courses have images assigned to them that feature on the course and lesson cards in the interface. There is a vast, constantly growing image library available in the system, but it is possible to load additional images if required.
Imagery in the interface carries a high visual impact and poor image choices may reduce the effectiveness of the interface. To ensure images added are suitable and of high quality, the following guidelines should be adhered to for any additional images.
All images must be:
- 500 by 250 pixels
- Maximum file size of 50kb
- File type JPG or PNG
This will allow your images to be successfully processed, and ensure they’re optimised for your site.
- Don’t stretch or pull an image out of shape - always maintain the image’s natural proportions.
- Avoid using images that are not professionally taken where possible.
- Select photographs that have a short depth of field - this means only a small part of an image is in focus; and ensure that focus is in the centre of the image, both vertically and horizontally, as below – red part is the visible part:
- Tiny png
- Choose images that are product generic - for example, avoid images that have a brand logo in them.
- Try to choose images that have fewer colours in them - not monotone, but with a reduced palette. Lots of colours in an interface are distracting, drawing the user’s focus towards them and away from the task they are trying to complete.
- Avoid images with faces being the focus of the image, especially faces looking out of the image – human nature is to look at eyes, so they act in the same way as lots of colour.
- Select images that consider the locality of the requirement, i.e. avoid obviously US content if the course content is relevant to a European market.
- Never use clip art or animated gifs.
- Ensure images used have copyright clearance – most images from image libraries can be used providing they are not for "editorial" use only.
- If commissioning photography for use in the image library, ensure that the relevant copyright license and model release forms have been obtained and that all image licenses will not expire after a set period of time. Also follow all the other points above when briefing the photograph
How to upload
To upload your own pictures go to Settings. You can find this on the top menu in the admin side of Learn.
Once in the Settings area look down the left-hand menu and choose My Images. This is where you can upload your own pictures.
When you first load this page there will be no images loaded. You can start loading any images you want by selecting Choose images. You can then browse for the images. Select the images you wish to upload.
The images chosen will be shown as a preview list. If there are any issues with the images then this will be shown here – these will not be uploaded into the system.
To upload the images select Upload images. The images are now available in the system to link to courses and lessons.
Once an image has been uploaded it can be renamed or deleted. You can only delete an image if it is not linked to a course. This will be shown on each image so you can easily tell which can be deleted and which cannot.