In this article, we'll describe how to set up Elective Lessons within a Course.
Elective Lessons offer learners choices within a Course. When a learner finishes one of these Lessons, they don't need to complete the remaining Lessons in the elective set.
This feature allows for more flexible course structures, empowering learners to select their preferred learning path. For instance, some learners might opt for in-person training, while others may prefer online learning.
Key points to note:
- A Course can contain just one elective set
- An elective set can consist of multiple Lessons
- Completing just one Lesson from the set fulfills the requirement
Watch the video or follow the steps:
Steps to set up elective lessons
- Browse to the 'Course' area of Learn admin:
- Select the Course that elective Lessons need to be set against. Use the Search options if required to filter the list to find the required Course:
- Select 'Lesson' from the administration menu:
- Select 'Manage elective Lessons':
- Select 'Set elective Lessons':
- Check tick boxes to select which Lessons are to be included in the elective set. Not all Lessons linked to the Course have to be included in the elective set:
- Select 'Create'
- Name the elective set. This name will be displayed to learners when they are choosing the Lesson they prefer:
- Arrange the Lessons in the elective set using the up/down arrows to set their order. This sequence dictates how the Lessons will appear on the course tile for Users in Learn. Where many Lessons are included these will show as a carousel view for User selection
- Select 'Save' to create the elective lesson set
So that's it and elective lessons are now set up.
User's View of Elective Lessons
In this example, Users need to finish two Lessons to complete the Course. Everyone must complete 'Finance Insights,' and then they can choose one Lesson from the elective set:
When numerous Lessons are part of the elective set, Users will pick from a Carousel view. Once they finish one elective set Lesson, they'll notice they have no more Lessons left in that set:
The 'Why?' button visible to Users displays the following information:
Get deeper learning in The Academy
In 'The big picture: build and curate learning' (10 min eLearning) we explore the different types of Lessons available in Learn and show how to build Courses with the perfect blend of learning. We'll also take a look at how to organise optional learning to inspire, engage, and make it easy for learners to find what they're looking for.
Understand the different Lesson types in Learn LMS, and how they can be organised into Courses
- Understand how Categories are used to make it easy for learners to find what they're looking for
- Have a strategy for planning out Catalogues in your Learn LMS